Car breakdown and rescue providers
Essential insurances for drivers
No one wants to end up stuck on the side of the road after a breakdown. Fortunately, if you’re a UK driver, car breakdown cover is available, ensuring that if something happens to your vehicle while you are on the road, you will get the help you need. Here’s a brief overview of car breakdown cover, including what it is, what it covers, and where to get it.
What is Car Breakdown Cover?
Just as it sounds, breakdown cover provides roadside assistance in the event a vehicle breaks down. It is frequently bundled in with your car insurance policy. There are two types of breakdown cover to choose from:
· Vehicle cover: This policy applies to a certain vehicle, regardless of who is driving it.
Personal cover: This policy applies to any vehicle you may be driving OR riding in, providing it meets your policy’s requirements.
Although you are not required to have car breakdown cover, it can certainly come in handy if you ever find yourself stranded on the side of the motorway. A free car check can help negate some of the risk of breaking down. MOT history let's you see when the car might have warnings for. Those parts could be replaced before the break completely and make the car unreliable.
What is Included in Car Breakdown Cover?
Breakdown cover can vary greatly, depending on the specific policy you choose. Even the most basic policy should include rescue at the roadside by a skilled mechanic who has the knowledge and tools to find your problem quickly. If possible, the problem will be fixed on the spot. If not, towing will be arranged. This is where the policies may differ. Typically, a standard policy will only tow your vehicle a short distance to a local garage, while a higher tier policy may tow your vehicle anywhere in the UK.
The policy you choose will also determine:
· How many call-outs you can make in a year, ranging from as few as 5 for basic policies to unlimited
· Whether or not you are eligible for at home assistance, which covers your vehicle at home and up to a ¼ mile from your home
· Whether or not you are eligible for national recovery, which will tow your vehicle to any UK destination, while also taking you and your passengers where you need to go
· Whether or not you are eligible for onward travel, which allows entitles you to alternative transportation or a hired car while your vehicle is being serviced
What Can Car Breakdown Cover be Used for?
Car breakdown cover can be used for any type of event that leaves you stranded, such as a punctured tyre or a dead car battery. It can be used 24/7/365.
Who Offers Car Breakdown Cover?
In the UK, several providers offer this type of cover, including:
· RAC: RAC offers several plans to choose from, ranging from standard for £5 per month to unlimited, which is available for £7.50 per month. Discounts may be given if you pay for an annual policy in full upfront.
· AA: AA offers similar policies that are very similar to those available through RAC, although there most basic package does allow for unlimited call-outs and costs £12 per month. However, for £17 per month, you can get everything including national recovery and online travel.
· Green Flag: Green Flag has 5 different coverage levels to choose from, including one that offers Europe cover, which provides roadside assistance throughout Europe. If you tend to travel, this is something worth considering.
Don’t allow yourself to get stuck on theside of the road, trying to find someone to help you. Get car breakdown cover, so that you are eligible for the assistance you need with a single phone call or click of an app.